Ways to Personalize Your Apartment
Take a look around your apartment. Do you like the way it’s decorated? Does it represent your personal style and taste? Is it all you hoped it would be when you moved in?
You may think that because you live in an apartment that you can’t personalize it to fit your style. But that’s simply not true. You just have to learn to be a bit more creative. After all, you don’t want to take the risk of not getting your deposit back should you decide to move out.
Don’t worry – here are some ways you can give your apartment your personal stamp and make it reflect your style.
- Create an Art Gallery: One of the best ways to show your style is to create an art gallery full of things that are a reflection of you. You can hang art, photos, some shelves with accessories, and anything else that fits your style. Look to use those damage-free hooks (such as Command Hooks) that won’t damage the walls for hanging art and photos. And, floating shelves require only a few holes to hang – so, you’ll do minimal damage to the walls.
- Use Color: While you may not be able to paint your walls your favorite color, that doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate color in other ways. Throw pillows, blankets, and furniture can all add color that is reflective of your interior design style.
- Removable Wallpaper: If you have not taken a look at removable wallpaper lately, you certainly need to. The designs that are available are absolutely stunning and fit a wide variety of home decorating styles. While you may not want to do all of the walls in your apartment with this type of wallpaper, it can make for a great accent wall.
- Change Out Your Flooring: You may be thinking, “How can I change out my flooring?” There are a few simple things you can do to change the look of your floors. You could get some area rugs, which is probably your easiest choice. They come in all sorts of different sizes and can cover lots of ground. Or, you could grab some carpet squares, which most flooring stores have or are available online. They even make interlocking floor tiles that can be placed right over your current flooring.
- Create Faux Built-Ins: Have you ever walked into someone’s home and saw a wall that had a built-in and thought, “What a great look!”? Using different bookcases, shelves, and some wood trim, you can create your own faux built-in for your apartment. Check the DIY sites for some help with a project like this one.
- Change Your Light Fixtures: If you’re not in love with your overhead lighting, then perhaps you’ll want to change it out. Most light fixtures can be changed out easily, and you can put the fixtures that came with your apartment in your closet until you move out – at which point you can just put them back up!
- Plants, Plants, Plants: Plants are an easy way to personalize your home. Head to your local nursery and pick up plants that fit your lifestyle. (Think about how much care your plants need when choosing ones for your home.) If you’re afraid you can’t take care of real plants, there are some very realistic looking faux plants available – which means no green thumb is needed.
Have you made your apartment a reflection of your personal style, or is it still a work-in-progress? Which of these ideas could help personalize your apartment, so it represents you? Try a few of these ideas to really make your apartment feel like home.