Top 10 Water Sports You Need to Try This Summer
Cool down this summer by trying new water sports. Yes, the pool and the beach are great, but give yourself a new experience by trying something new in the water. There are several games and sports that you should give a go. Get a friend or two and try all ten!
- SUP: Stand Up Paddleboarding is a unique way to experience the water. It’s like walking on water. You have a longer than average surfboard and a single paddle. You stand on the board and use your arms to paddle around. To turn, you lean to one side and shift your weight.
- Water Polo: It’s like hockey, but in the water. There’s a goal set up, a small ball that is passed, and plenty of competitors who want to make it in the net. Things can get a little physical at times, so be ready to push around a little bit!
- Whitewater Rafting: You’ve seen those thrill seekers careening down the rivers, and this summer, you get a chance to be one of them. You’ll be in a group with several others and an experienced guide. The water will be cool, and you may fall out, but you’ll be in safe hands. There will be moments of action, and moments of calm, but it’s guaranteed to be a good time.
- Kayaking: You can choose to make this experience as exciting or as relaxing as you’d like. You can casually cruise down a river, or you can power through rapids. Map out kayaking tours, and go with a group. It’s easy to get started, and lots of fun to relax on the water.
- Jet Skiing: There’s nothing better than racing through the waves on a jet ski. It’s like flying over the water. With the wind whipping past you and the water spraying you, it’s a fun way to spend time out on the water.
- Water Ski/Slalom: Slap on a pair of skis and find a friend with a boat. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you can still learn how to ski. The most difficult part is standing up at the beginning. Don’t be in a rush, take your time, and laugh when you fall.
- Snorkeling: It’s one thing to go to the beach, but it’s another to look under the water and see the other world that exists in the sea. Immerse yourself in this vibrant underwater garden of seaweed, fans, coral, and fish. You’ll see nature in a whole new light as bright schools of fish swim around you.
- Scuba Diving: Scuba diving is like snorkeling, except you get to see even more. You can go to further depths and to more remote locations to see more fish and marine plant life. You can see larger wildlife like dolphins, squid, sharks, and barracudas. The coral is different and larger in some areas. Once you’ve seen this new world, you’ll never want to leave.
- Sailing: Sailing has a certain notoriety that comes with it. It’s challenging in ways, and relaxing in others. You don’t have to do much work because the wind will take you, but it can take some doing to control the wind.
- Windsurfing: This is a more extreme sport, because it takes some physical strength, but it’s well worth the challenge. You get to harness nature and soar through the air as you crest each wave.
You’ll get your exercise in and stay cool during the hot summer months with these water sports. You may find a new favorite activity that will become a yearly tradition. The only way to find out is to try!