Tips for the Perfect Cheeseburger and a Few Recipes
“Man who invented the hamburger was smart; man who invented the cheeseburger was a genius.” – Matthew McConaughey
Is there anything better than a juicy cheeseburger, cooked to perfection, and loaded with your favorite toppings? Are you salivating just thinking about it?
Then you need to get ready for National Double Cheeseburger Day – which is celebrated on September 15th. Because if one cheeseburger is good – then a double cheeseburger must be fantastic!
- Head to the Butcher’s Shop: Sure, your local grocery store has ground beef – and it will probably make a great burger. But when you get to know your local butcher, you can learn all the tricks of the trade – and end up with an amazing burger.
- Your local butcher shop can make recommendations on what meat to use – and you might even find they have a special blend just for burgers. (If your local butcher has a ground beef/ground short rib blend – give it a try!)
- Buy Meat with Some Fat: Perhaps you drink fat-free milk or eat fat-free yogurt – that’s great. But when it comes to creating a great tasting cheeseburger – buy some meat with fat. As every good chef will tell you, “Fat = Flavor.” And you want your burger to have flavor!
- Don’t Overwork Your Ground Beef: When you get ready to make your patties, you want to do it quickly, so you don’t overwork your ground beef. Overworking your meat can make your cheeseburgers turn out tough – and nobody wants to eat a tough burger.
- Make an Indentation in the Center: Have you ever had a cheeseburger that had a huge mound in the center? And then none of your toppings stay on, and it creates a huge mess. The simple way to stop that from happening is to make an indentation in the center – and it will also help the meat cook more evenly.
- Season with Salt and Pepper: If you’re wondering if you should buy some fancy seasonings to make your hamburger taste its best – the answer is no. All you need to do is season with salt and pepper – and you are good to go.
- Cook It the Way You Like It: Lots of questions come up related to how to cook a burger. Should it be rare, medium, or well done? Should I grill it or cook it on a griddle? Should I smash it down or just let it cook? And for each of these questions, you will find differing opinions – because the right answer is to cook it the way you like it.
- Add Your Cheeses: And then it’s time for the cheese! It’s really a matter of preference – what do you like? Fan of a good sharp cheddar? Then use that? Like a milder Colby Jack? Throw on a couple of slices! Or mix it up! Combine a couple of your favorites! Because you can never have too much cheese, right?
- Pick the Right Bun: When it comes to choosing a bun, you want something that can hold your burger and all of its toppings without falling apart. But, you also want a bun that won’t have you tugging and pulling at the bread to take a bite. A simple hamburger bun works great – or if you love a brioche bun – pick some up! (Lots of upscale burger joints use brioche buns because they have a somewhat sweet flavor to complement your savory burger.)
- Add Your Toppings: Finally, add all of your favorite toppings! The sky’s the limit!
Are you hungry for a burger yet? Here are a few recipes to check out to celebrate National Double Cheeseburger Day!
The next time you’re in the mood for a juicy cheeseburger – make one at home! Use these tips, and you’ll have friends knocking on your door asking you to make one for them, too!