Planning a Trip to Las Vegas? Take Some Day Trips!
When the weather gets cold, lots of people head somewhere warm. One destination that’s often on the list is Las Vegas. After all, there is no shortage of things to do in Las Vegas. Great hotels. Fine dining. Casinos. And some fantastic shows. You could spend all of your time right in Las Vegas and never get it all done.
But, Las Vegas is also a great destination because of the places you can see while there. You can easily rent a car and head out of town to some scenic views that shouldn’t be missed.
- Grand Canyon: You have several options when heading to the Grand Canyon. You can be to the West Rim in about 2 hours or to the South Rim in about 4 hours – and no matter which you choose – you’ll love the majestic views. You can see the Grand Canyon by plane, helicopter, bus, or even by motorcycle if you don’t feel like driving a car there.
- Red Rock Canyon: If you want to enjoy the great outdoors, climb on top of some huge boulders, and play explorer for the day – then head to Red Rock Canyon. It’s about a 30-minute drive from Vegas (if that), and with such a short drive, you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy your day. There’s a great scenic drive and plenty of photo opportunities, too.
- Bryce Canyon: Head to Utah if you want to visit Bryce Canyon. It’s about a 4-hour drive from Las Vegas, and the rock formations are incredible. With hiking, bridges, an amphitheater, and some breathtaking views – a day trip here is a must.
- Valley of Fire: Lots of people consider this a “hidden gem” when it comes to Las Vegas day trips. Only about an hour away, you can visit the Valley of Fire Park for just $10 (for the day) or go camping for just $20 per night. There’s lots of great hiking, and you can bring your dog as long as they remain on a leash.
- Death Valley National Park: You’re just about two hours away from Death Valley, and while it may not be high on your list of must-see places, it should be. Its uniqueness makes it a place you should visit at least once.
- Area 51: Are you a lover of rumors and conspiracy theories? Do you believe that there is alien life out there? Then head to Area 51. You can drive on the Extraterrestrial Highway, visit the Alien Research Center, and head to Rachel, Nevada, to visit the Little A’Le’Inn for some food and drink. This is definitely not your average day trip!
- Hoover Dam: Open year-round (except for Thanksgiving and Christmas), a trip to Hoover Dam is easy to plan. It’s located 30 miles southeast of Las Vegas, making for a short drive, or sign up for any of the many tours that leave from the city.
- Lake Mead: If you want to enjoy the water and take in the scenery, head to Lake Mead. Here you can fish, swim, boat, bike, and hike.
If you’re planning a trip to Las Vegas, don’t forget about some of these great places you can visit that are all within driving distance. You can leave the glitz and glam behind for a few hours and enjoy the great outdoors.