How to Get to Know Your Neighbors
When you ask people how they feel about moving, you might hear:
- Moving is hard work.
- Moving is challenging.
- Moving is exciting.
And yes, it’s all of those things, but focus on the “exciting” portion of things.
Because no matter if you’re moving into a new place in a new city or just a new place close to your current location, it’s always fun to put your stamp on a new apartment – once you get past all of the work it involves.
Once you’re settled, it’s time to get to know your neighbors. After all, it’s nice to have a friendly relationship with those around you. But, how do you go about doing this without coming across as the crazy, new neighbor? It’s really not that hard, and here are a few simple ways to get you started.
- Smile and Say Hello: This is such a simple thing to do but can be the key to getting to know your neighbors. A friendly smile and a small wave or “Hi,” when you see someone could be all that’s needed to spark a conversation. And don’t get discouraged if it takes a few times to break the ice – just keep at it.
- Ask Questions: If you are new to the area or just the apartment complex, you may have a few questions about the city or the amenities. Asking your questions to neighbors is the way to go! They’ll know all the ins and outs of the building and can probably tell you who has the best pizza delivery!
- Join Local Online Groups and Forums: Check for local online groups and forums that you can join and participate in. This will allow you to know what’s happening in the area and become a part of the community.
- Hang Outside: With the warmer weather, why not hang outside? You might be surprised by how many people head outside when the temperatures rise. Hang out by the grills and picnic area and say hello to your neighbors who are out and about.
- Let Your Kids Do the Introductions: If you have children, they are a great way to meet new people. Kids are naturally friendly and will seek out other children to play with – which means you can meet their parents. What could be better than new friends for the entire family?
- Ask For a Small Favor: Don’t start out by asking a neighbor to help you lug your brand new sectional sofa into your apartment, but instead, start by asking for a small favor to open the lines of communication. Perhaps you could ask to borrow a screwdriver or a cup of sugar? Something small – just so that you can introduce yourself.
- Do Something Nice For Them: Doing something nice for your neighbors is a great way to get to know them. You could bake some cookies and put them on their doorstep with a note saying who you are. Or purchase some flowers and leave a small bouquet. You can rest assured that any nice gesture will be appreciated.
- Have a Get-Together: When the time is right, why not invite a few people over to your place? You could have some folks over for coffee or a few drinks or a game night.
Getting to know your neighbors doesn’t have to be difficult. All you need to do is be friendly and put yourself out there. After all, who doesn’t appreciate a smile and a simple hello?