Apartment Decor: What to Splurge On and What to Save On
When you’re trying to redecorate your home, it’s hard to tell what to invest in and what to get for cheap. Everyone has a budget, and you need to be smart about how you use your money. Don’t skimp on the things you use to the most, and save on the little things that add a special touch to the room.
What to Splurge On:
- High Traffic Furniture: The things in your home that are going to get the most use need to be of quality material. Poorly made furniture won’t hold up over years of constant use. Plus, they usually aren’t nearly as comfortable. Spend a little extra investing in a solid sofa and kitchen table and chairs. These items will also be the things that your guests most often see and use as well. Put a little pride in your home by going all out for these items.
- Statement Pieces: Chose one thing in the room to be the focal point. Because it’s the centerpiece to your room, you want it to be something that is worth looking at. Select something that is a direct reflection of who you are. It can be anything from an area rug that’s full of pattern and color to a beautiful light fixture that makes the room.
- Headboard: You spend about 7-8 hours of every day in your bed. Make it fantastic. You want your bed to be a place that brings you peace and relaxes you. A high quality bed frame and headboard elevates the entire room to make it appear more mature. Bring a touch of class to your bedroom by going all out on a unique piece that you love.
What to Save On:
- Accent Pieces: The pops of color that are scattered around the room are the perfect places to save a little extra cash. You don’t need to buy the deluxe throw pillows. The cheaper ones function just the same. All that matters is that the color palette matches the other things in the room. You can have little picture frames, coasters, vases, and lamps that look great, but don’t break the bank.
- Trendy Decor: There’s always the latest in fashion and in home trends. It may be tempting to splurge on the hottest new item, but you’ll be better off by saving on this one. Sometimes, it can be hard to tell what’s trendy and what’s here to stay. If you’re ever in doubt, see if this is something that people did 5 years ago. If not, then it’s a trend that’s about to go out of style quick.
- End Tables and Side Chairs: You should spend money on the pieces of furniture that get the most use, but save on the ones that aren’t necessary everyday. Furniture items such as end tables and accent chairs don’t need to be high end. They are there to serve a purpose. You can always jazz them up with some of your accent piece or trendy decor.
With these general rules, you’ll have a show-stopping room on a budget. Redecorating is fun and exciting, but it also can be stressful and expensive if you don’t have a plan. Be wise about where you spend your money, and you’ll be able to enjoy your beautiful home for years to come. You can’t go wrong by following these tips on what to splurge on and what to save on when it comes to decorating your apartment.